There are some strange things happening in our society with regards to birth. Women feel less and less able to birth naturally, yet industrialised countries like the US and the UK are seeing maternal and infant mortality rates on the rise. What is going on? I’d like to present 7 Things that hospitals do for labouring women that are NOT RECOMMENDED for pregnant women! It doesn’t make sense that these things are overlooked and treated so lightly. If they are harmful to a pregnant mother, they are also harmful to her in her labouring state, and therefore should be AVOIDED.
1. Hospitals Don’t Allow You to EAT when Labouring.
2. Hospitals Require You to Lie On Your Back.
3. Hospitals Don’t Allow You to Walk Around.
4. Hospitals Offer (sometimes PUSH) Epidurals for Every Labouring Mother.
5. Hospitals Offer Gas & Air (Laughing Gas) for every Labouring Mother.
6. Hospital Environments are STRESSFUL.
7. Hospitals separate the mother and baby, interrupting precious bonding time.
If you’ve been a diligent mother and have followed good guidelines for a HEALTHY PREGNANCY, why would you consent to these Hospital Procedures just MOMENTS before birth? There is NO DRUG that doesn’t reach the baby, the placenta is not a ‘barrier’ that prevents drugs from reaching the baby. Just like you need to be healthy for the 9 MONTHS leading up to birth, you need to stay healthy throughout labour to keep your baby healthy.
You may believe that some or all of these procedures are necessary, and some of them may be necessary for your particular birth; however, there are many women all over the world who birth without any of these hospital interruptions. You can have a calm, peaceful, natural birth and you can also learn when certain interventions and interruptions may be necessary. Contact a Bradley Method teacher today, or sign up for classes!
*Disclaimer: Not all hospitals are the same. This is a generalisation. You can still have the birth you want in a hospital setting.