If you look in the bradleybirth.com directory, you’ll find that I am the ONLY Bradley instructor here in the United Kingdom! I received my training in Chicago, Illinois, USA and soon after, my husband took a job here in Hamble, so here I am now!
I have noticed how many HypnoBirthing teachers there are in the area and wanted to help inform you as to what the Bradley Method® is in comparison.
According to the HypnoBirthing official website:
“HypnoBirthing is a complete birth education programme, that teaches simple but specific self hypnosis, relaxation and breathing techniques for a better birth.
HypnoBirthing is much more than just self hypnosis or hypnotherapy for childbirth.
- With HypnoBirthing, you’ll discover that severe pain does not have to be an accompaniment of labour
- You’ll learn how to release the fears and anxieties you may currently have about giving birth, and how to overcome previous traumatic births
- HypnoBirthing lets you discover and experience the joy and magic of birth – rather than the horrific ordeal everyone else seems hell-bent on telling you about
Most importantly, you’ll learn how to put yourself back in control of your birth – rather than blindly turning your birthing experience over to your doctor or midwife.
HypnoBirthing doesn’t mean you’ll be in a trance or a sleep. Rather, you’ll be able to chat, and be and in good spirits – totally relaxed, but fully in control. You’ll always be aware of what is happening to you, and around you.
HypnoBirthing doesn’t require any particular belief system, or prior experience. Some of our mums (and especially their husbands!) have been very sceptical at first – until they experience it for themselves.
In fact, the more sceptical they are to start with, the more evangelical they are when they discover the power of HypnoBirthing.
Just imagine welcoming each surge! Feeling peaceful… relaxing… and even smiling as your baby comes closer to you!
In short, HypnoBirthing allows you to experience birth in an atmosphere of calm relaxation, free of the fear and tension that prevents the birthing muscles of your body from functioning as Nature intended them to.”
According to the official Bradley Method website:
“The Bradley Method® teaches natural childbirth and views birth as a natural process. It is our belief that most women with proper education, preparation, and the help of a loving and supportive coach can be taught to give birth naturally. The Bradley Method® is a system of natural labor techniques in which a woman and her coach play an active part. It is a simple method of increasing self-awareness, teaching a woman how to deal with the stress of labor by tuning in to her own body. The Bradley Method® encourages mothers to trust their bodies using natural breathing, relaxation, nutrition, exercise, and education.
How is The Bradley Method® Unique?
- The Bradley Method teaches couples ways to stay low risk. While occasionally there are risk factors out of your control, staying healthy and low risk can help to avoid complications. Low risk mothers have more choices.
- Relaxation is the Key to The Bradley Method® during labor. It is the safest and most effective way to reduce unnecessary pain and to handle any pain that you do experience. While other methods seek to control the sensations of labor (emphasizing distraction as their Primary labor control technique), The Bradley Method® encourages mothers to trust their bodies (emphasizing relaxed abdominal breathing and relaxation throughout labor).
- The term The Bradley Method® is a registered trademark to ensure you are getting quality childbirth education. All instructors of The Bradley Method® are highly trained to help you learn how to give birth.”
I believe that both HypnoBirthing and The Bradley Method® are great courses that will significantly prepare you and reduce your risk of cesarean section. HypnoBirthing has more emphasis on techniques to help you have a pain-free labor and birth (they do not guarantee that it will be pain free!) whilst the Bradley Method® is more comprehensive and covers a lot more information from a healthy pregnancy to healthy baby. It includes various pain management techniques, such as B.E.S.T. (Bradley Energy Saving Techniques), as well as helping you plan birth scenarios with in-depth study on interventions and emergency procedures. It is also unique in its 12-week long course so you don’t have to worry about forgetting what you’ve learned and helps remind you to continue eating right and doing your exercises!
Ready to sign up for classes? Fill out this form today!